Speeches & Sermons
It is my distinct honor and privilege to be invited together with my wife Pearl to take part in this 13th National Assembly of the Uniting Church in Australia.
Delivered by the Rev. Alistair Macrae at the 13th Uniting Church Assembly.
Grand Chancellor Hotel, Adelaide
Tuesday 16 July 2012
"Everything will be OK in the end. Everything is not OK. Therefore it is not the end."
(Quote taken from 2012 film Exotic Marigold Hotel).
A better summary of the eschatology of the Basis of Union you will not find.
from Rev. Prof. Andrew Dutney
Delivered Adelaide Entertainment Centre, 15 July 2012
Bible Reading: John 10:10b-16
The passage from John's Gospel uses powerful themes from the Hebrew scriptures that would have been well known to first century Jewish people:
- God as the true Shepherd of Israel; giving life, security, peace – a future
- The promise of a leader in the line of David; anointed to be the faithful shepherd of Israel under God
- Ezekiel 34: a searing critique of the false shepherds of Israel together with a powerful affirmation of God's promise to Israel, God's Flock –
- "I will feed them with good pasture...they shall lie down in good grazing land. ...I will seek the lost, and I will bring back the strayed and I will bind up the injured, and I will strengthen the weak, but the fat and strong I will destroy. I will feed them with justice." (vv.14, 15)
When Jesus said, I have come that they may have life, and have it abundantly (John 10:10b), everyone knew he meant just this:
- the gathering of scattered, divided people
- into a community of peace and justice within which everyone can flourish.